Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Amarone has been "made" a DOCG


Amarone, Italy's newest DOCG!

It's like being let into THE FAMILY. Is it necessary? I personally know plenty of people who are willing to pay for Amarone without the pink neck tie around the bottle.

Is there anything noble about a process? I'd say yes in the case of Vin Santo, Recioto, Madiera, Tokay, and endless other wines but I worry about a region being elevated while the production has increased 650% in the last decade.

Amarone, with all due respect, it just seems a little funny.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting. Deserved, though I'm not sure it even matters anymore. Mostly, I'm just glad WSW has a new post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ryan- is there a way to contact you directly? We'd like to invite you to a winemaker dinner for Atlanta area wine bloggers in January 2010 but don't currently have your email!
    Thanks- Alexa, Gregory White PR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan, could you suggest a wine for me on my blog. I will be servings skate wing, sauteed with brown butter, capers, tomato and garlic with a little chop parsley. Let me know!
    http://cheftomminchella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete